MHS provides educational sessions that focus on understanding mental illness and health, treatment and rehabilitation options and approaches, self-management strategies and steps to understanding and navigating the mental health system.
Mental Health Essentials
- Mental Health
- Mental illness (signs, symptoms, diagnosis, causes, risks for)
- Relationship between physical and mental health
- Treatments, therapies and alternative approaches are used (ortho molecular biology, hypnosis, acupuncture, massage therapy, yoga, tai-chi)
- What you can do (nutrition, exercise, sleep, change thinking/behaviour, transforming suffering, harm reduction, substance use, attachment/meaning, mindfulness, wellbeing, balance, resilience, positive supoorts, productive, empowerment, choice (respond, react), set goals)
Navigating the Mental Health System
- What hospital based services and supports are available and how are they accessed?
- What community based services and supports are available and how are they accessed? (Includes housing, social assistance, addiction and court diversion).
- What are the roles of mental health service providers? (Psychiatrist, nurse, social worker, occupational therapist, vocational counsellor, addictions counsellor, peer support worker, community support worker, case manager).
- What level of service to expect? (Informed consent, choice, respect, empathy, non-judgement)
- How to address service concerns. (Hospital or organization management, governing colleges, patient advocate, ombudsmen)
Creating Healthy Organizations
- Mental Health Issues
- Challenges and Barriers
- Legislation governing employers and educators (AODA, OHRC)
- Supporting Students/Colleagues
Preparing for an employee’s/student’s return to work/school
- How can I approach employee/student
- What is a reasonable accommodation
- What if an accommodation is provided and it's still not working out
- What are the rights and responsibilities of employers/employees, unions
- Supporting colleagues
- Accommodation strategies