5 out of 5
Canadians experience mental health.
Mental Illness is the leading cause of disability worldwide and the largest contributor to the global burden of disease.
Mental Health Solutions is a private, nurse led, mental health service provider, located in the Niagara Region of Ontario, that offers educational courses and workshops designed to assist individuals and organizations to achieve optimal mental wellness.
Karen L. Vanscoy RN, BScN
Founder, Mental Health Consultant
Karen has provided treatment, counselling and recovery support to individuals experiencing a range of serious mental health issues in a variety of inpatient and community based settings including, Hamilton Psychiatric Hospital, Canadian Mental Health Association (Niagara South), St. Joseph’s Healthcare (Hamilton), and Niagara Region Public Health. Each of these opportunities has contributed to the breadth and depth of Karen’s knowledge and understanding of mental health disorders, strategies for addressing associated symptoms and issues, and an intimate knowledge of the Niagara and Hamilton Mental Health systems and services. Karen’s roles have included assessment, crisis support, outreach, treatment, case management, counselling, education, recovery support, research and program planning, implementation and evaluation. Additionally, Karen’s son is dually diagnosed with both Fragile X Syndrome and mental health issues. This experience has heightened Karen’s awareness of the challenges and barriers faced by people with mental health issues including stigma, isolation and access to needed services and supports. Karen is committed to providing a respectful, open environment that facilitates a person centred approach to address individualized mental health needs. Karen is committed to professional growth and development and the ever changing needs of our community.
Our vision is to support Individuals and organizations to achieve optimal mental health.
Our mission is to ensure that individuals and organizations seeking mental health and support:
- Experience a caring, personalised, holistic approach.
- Have the information required to make informed choices and decisions.
- Are provided the knowledge, skills and resources to transform mental illness into mental health.
Everyone is vulnerable to experiencing mental health issues. These can range from mild to severe and can be influenced by genetics, illness, stress, trauma, beliefs, feelings, lifestyle, environment and personal challenges. Each of us has the capacity to improve our brain health and strengthen our resilience. Recovery is possible and we all have the potential to achieve mental health and well-being.
- Mental illness is the leading cause of disability worldwide and the largest contributor to the global burden of disease. 1 out of 5 Canadians will experience a mental illness over their lifetime.
- Depression rates have increased by 18% over the last decade. It is currently the leading cause of disease in Canada.
- Every 40 seconds someone dies by suicide. After accidents, suicide is the leading cause of death among 15-19 year olds. 1.5 times more Canadians die by suicide than all cancers.